It's hard to believe the Summer Festival 2010 programme of workshops, rehearsals and performances is over. The Festival was a resounding success with audiences, theatre critics and participants alike.
Now September is here and it's already feeling less summery outside, that can mean only one thing - Autumn/Winter Season at SYT! Hold your breath as there's a lot to take in here. OK, here goes:
Classes - weekly drama in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow start back this month. If you haven't booked your place, don't miss out. Numbers are limited. And if you haven't tried these workshops before then why ever not?! ;) They're immense fun, led by professional tutors and take place in either His Majesty's Theatre Aberdeen, Edinburgh Festival Theatre or The Old Sheriff Court. All of these venues are stunning in their own unique way. It's not all about learning about theatre either - build your confidence, make new friends and try something a bit different.
The National Roadshow kicks off in October. The SYT team take to the roads of Scotland and will travel to literally any corner of the country to give you and your school /youth drama group a taste of SYT is like. And for the small price of £50. For more info on this, click here. It's a great opportunity for us to come to you, so if you know someone that might be interested, email email@example.com.
Are you sitting comfortably? Then let SYT tell you a story! Family Story Time (a personal favourite!) starts back for a third season. Hurray! These magical sessions are for little ones and their families. The SYT Productions gang bring classics as well as more unusual children's tales to life with props, sound effects and bags of talent. Want to know the new stories? Click here.
Phew, I'm exhausted just typing! Not finished, try to keep up!
The October Course will involve all things spooky, mysterious and of course be heavily concerned with acting. Possibly a bit of devising. Don't want to give too much away at this stage, still something of a work in progress. As always it will be a fun and exciting way to spend the break. As if you'd expect anything less! Just keep a close watch on the facebook fan page, blog and SYT homepage.
Wee Red is the next festive production from SYT Productions. Again, this performance will be aimed at 3-7's & their families, in keeping with the style of The Beauty of Sleeping Wood, The Puddock & the Princess and The Ugly Duckling. Wee Red could be the naughtiest of all our main characters. Come along to find out why sometimes, Mum is right!
Company news in brief:
- SYT will be working with film production company Urban Croft, River Clyde Homes and Inverclyde Academy to produce Up Close: Young People's Documentary. Already can't wait to see the finished result.
- SYT Artistic Director & Chief Executive Mary McCluskey has been working with Y-Dance and BAFTA winning writer/director David Cosgrove on the story of Icarus, the Greek fable about the boy who wanted to fly. Above are some rehearsal shots of the cast - flying! Looks like there's a lot of skill involved here in these rehearsals - but looks like lots of fun, no?!
Participant news in brief:
- Well done to Cara Duffy, who successfully won the part of understudy in the musical re-telling of The Secret Garden. Cara goes to weekly classes and has taken part in Summer Festival too. Bravo Cara, what an achievement!
- Ex-participant Craig Steele, who is on an adventure down under, is clearly taking everything in his stride and showing folk in the land of Oz how things are done. Read the article about Craig's success here.
- Jayne Austin will be taking part in the Commonwealth Games Flag Handover ceremony in Delhi - in a cast 350 people strong! The show will be televised around the world (eeek!) in October. There will be lots more to report on this in the run up, so again, watch this space!
It's non stop at Scottish Youth Theatre - but that's the way everyone here loves it.